No Contact Orders

If the case involves one family or household member against another, it may be classified as "domestic violence" and the Court may enter a No Contact Order protecting the alleged victim as part of the defendant's pretrial release conditions.

The defendant is required to obey all of the terms of the No Contact Order. Any violation by the defendant is a criminal offense. It is not a defense to a violation of the No Contact Order that the "protectee" invited or allowed the violation.

Only the Judge can change the terms or extinguish (drop) the No Contact Order. The protectee can, if they wish, petition the Judge to modify or extinguish the No Contact Order. The protectee can contact the Court and request a hearing. The Court will schedule a hearing a day or two out from the date of the request. Only the protected person is required at the hearing. The defendant will not be given notice or be required to be at that hearing.

Many states will enforce domestic violence orders from another state. If you are protected by a No Contact or Protection Order issued in Washington and have left Washington state, you may be able to "register" the order in the state you are in. Contact your local Superior or District Court to find out what steps you can take to have the order recognized and, therefore, enforced in your state.