Presentations & Proclamations
Presentations during Council meetings are part of a required contractual agreement between the City and organizations who have received City funding for all or part of their program. There is a specific business-purpose related to a contractual relationship with the City that requires these groups to make a presentation.
Currently, the City does not schedule presentations outside of this type of contractual agreement.
The Mayor and City Council are pleased to issue official proclamations from the City of Oak Harbor. Proclamations are used to honor or recognize exceptional achievement, extraordinary activities, or events that reflect outstanding accomplishments in the lives of Oak Harbor residents.
Proclamations are special ceremonial documents which may be issued for:
- Public awareness of significant civic-related issues or public safety
- Community-wide arts and cultural celebrations
- Special or exceptional honors, as determined by the Administration
Unfortunately, not all proclamation requests are guaranteed to be fulfilled. Proclamations will not be issued for:
- General information pertaining to for-profit businesses or non-profit organizations
- Any topic that may be interpreted as an advertisement or commercial promotion
- Proclamations are not given for awards (military proclamations are the lone exception)
- Events or organizations with no direct relationship to the City of Oak Harbor, matters of political controversy, ideological or religious beliefs, or individual persons
- Events or organizations with no direct business or partner relationship with the City of Oak Harbor
- Campaigns or events contrary to city policies
- Proclamation renewals or requests that are similar to previously issued proclamations will be denied
Please understand that we receive many proclamation requests each year. By having these guidelines in place, the importance and special significance of proclamations are protected. Requests for proclamations without the use of the official application form, incomplete requests, or requests which do not conform to the established guidelines will not be considered.
Request a Proclamation
- Please submit a completed Application Form (PDF), including any specifically desired wording highlighting the special occasion or outstanding accomplishment that you would like the Mayor and City Council to recognize.
- Submit your proclamation by email or by post to:
865 SE Barrington Drive
Oak Harbor WA 98277
Note: All proclamations are subject to editing.
What to Expect
- If the application is approved, we will attempt to use your suggested wording to prepare the proclamation.
- Please submit your application 30 days prior to the requested due date.
- If your request does not meet the guidelines or we are unable to provide a proclamation, the Mayor and City Council might provide a congratulatory letter as an alternative.
The City Council's Office reserves the right to decline any request for a proclamation, as well as the right to make exceptions to the guideline procedures.
The Mayor and City Council's issuance of a proclamation does not constitute an endorsement. All requests for proclamations will be vetted on a case-by-case basis with the City reserving the right to decline any request for a proclamation, as well as the right to make exceptions to the guideline procedures.